Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Easy DIY Coffee Scrub... Because Who Doesn't Need More Coffee?

Guys, I love coffee. I have more cups of coffee in a day than I am willing to admit to. The sweet, sweet nectar of life is a daily staple in our household, which means that we have a lot of coffee grounds. As I was cleaning out our french press today, I got to thinking...

It just seemed awful wasteful to dump them down the drain. What else could I do with them? I know that coffee grounds make a great addition to compost piles, but I do not have one of those just yet. I doubt my neighbors would appreciate it right now... I was reading the other day about the benefits of caffeine in everything from cellulite reduction to anti-inflammatory-ness. Plus, it's a natural antioxidant. Cool, right?



Just the smell of coffee alone is supposed to help reduce nausea and anxious thoughts... Well, sign me up. I decided to whip up (tra la la) a coffee scrub to bring all those benefits into my morning shower. Morning coffee, morning shower... happy thoughts everywhere. Scrubs are great because they exfoliate while moisturizing skin, help to release toxins, and increase blood flow. I opted to use both olive and coconut oil in with my scrub, since I love what they both bring to the table. 



I also opted for salt rather than sugar, because I feel like sugar scrubs are, like, so over. 

Sea salt, guys. It's the wave of the future.




I combined my leftover coffee grounds from this morning along with a tablespoon each of sea salt, olive oil, and coconut oil.



I mixed it all up, and stored it in a bitty mason jar. What is it about tiny things that are just so cute? If you get a chance, check out "Too Cute" on Animal Planet. Three hours later, you'll be sitting in a puddle of your own drool, utterly relaxed and blissfully calm.


I am happy to report that the scrub smells divine (if you like coffee, that is), and feels delicious. However, be aware that this is a scrub with oil in it. It's not the rinse-off-squeaky-clean kind of feel, it's more the rinse-off-towel-dry-then-lay-around-naked-for-an-hour-while-the-oil-soaks-into-your-skin-leaving-you-silky-smooth-and-sensuous kind of feel. Guys, I looked around, and this stuff is crazy expensive. How much better to make it yourself, with a few ingredients sitting in your pantry, and then spend that money on more important things... like more coffee?

Just a thought.

Mmm... more coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment